Apr 19, 2011

Carmel Desserts and other happenings!

We spent several days in Columbia last week.  While the guys were at the Masters, us girls enjoyed shopping, cooking and catching up.  I also got to spend lots of time with little Ryan!  Rachel and I went to have lunch with Stefanie and Katie at school and had fun on the trampoline when they got home!

Rachel and Rebecca saw the Asian night blog post I did back in October and have been wanting me to show them how to make Spring Rolls.  They were a success and we also made Asian Wings and Chicken Fried Rice.  Although this is not your everyday meal, it was a crowd pleaser...and we had a picky crowd!  The best part was the three of us in the kitchen cooking together:)

The next day we did some shopping and met my brother Matthew at Lillian's store for lunch.  She has by far the BEST chicken salad EVER!

She also makes an amazing Carmel Cake that you can see on the counter in the picture above with me and Rachel.  I watched it disappear one slice at a time while we were there and could not resist getting the recipe and recreating the cake to be gluten free when we got home!  I have to say it was a HUGE success!  I used this recipe for the cake.

For the Carmel Frosting I used a recipe frosting from Mrs. Paula Dean, but used just a little over half a box of Powdered Sugar.
Thanks for the inspiration Lillian.  Although it is sometimes frustrating when I really want to eat something and can't cause of my allergy....it is great inspiration for me to play around with the recipes to make it safe for me to eat!  If you are not GF like me use your favorite pound cake recipe and make this Carmel Icing....I'm telling you it will not dissapoint.
I also recently made a gluten free version of this recipe for Carmel Toffee!  The Girl Who Ate Everything is one of my favorite food blogs and I saw this on her website and had to make it!
I used these crackers in place of the saltines.
You line them on a cookie sheet...
Make the "carmel" part...
Pour over crackers and bake...
and finally the chocolate topping!  Let it cool completely and then break into bite size pieces.  The combination of the salty and sweet and chocolate is perfect!
Besides doing a lot of baking...I have had the best time meeting new people and speding more time with old friends here in Charlotte.  I love this city and look forward to getting settled and spreading our roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment