Oct 28, 2011

"Fig"tastic!

As many of you may know we have had several fruit trees over the past 6 years.  At our old house we had both a cherry tree (read about that here and here) and a peach tree.  Well a few days after we moved into our new house we notice we now have a Fig tree:)  So I immediately starting trying to think of ways to use figs...I have never cooked with figs before so this was quite the challenge!  I ended up making a huge batch of fig jam!
First I had to pick the figs and wash them.

I have actually used the fig jam a lot!  Gave it away to some new neighbors and friends...

Put it on a sandwich...
Made an appetizer.....Gluten Free baguette, spreadable cheese, fig jam and prosciutto.
I made thumbprint ginger cookies, covered them in powdered sugar and filled with fig jam!  A friend said "They taste like Chirstmas":)
Ryan grilled a juicy pork tenderloin and during the last 5 minutes of cooking we slathered some of the fig jam on top....you could also do this with pork chops or chicken!
We hope to try some more fig recipes soon!  Let me know if you have any good ones:)

1 comment: