Jun 19, 2014

Summer Tomato Pie

In one week (two weeks ago) we had 5....yes 5 friends who had babies.  I have lots of meals to plan to bring to these sweet new mamas!  My go to in the summer or early fall meal is a salad, tomato pie and either dessert or a breakfast item.  My tomato pie is nothing crazy, but it is an easy thing to bring and such a crowd pleaser!  I have had a few people ask me for the recipe so I decided to post it for all!


Ingredients:
9 inch pie shell (I always use the Whole Foods Gluten Free one)
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1/4 sweet onion
3-4 tomatoes (thin slices and squeeze out excess juice)
1/4 cup sliced basil
2 cups shredded cheese- I use combo of Cheddar, Gruyere and Mozarella
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
S & P

Instructions:
1. Sautee onions over med heat with a  little EVOO until soft and starting to brown.
2. Preheat oven to 350.  Place pie shell in oven for 5-7 min.  If using a frozen crust bake 8-10 min.
3.  Squeeze as much moisture out of the tomatoes as you can. I layer them between paper towels and let it sit for a while.

4. Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with shredded chicken, then sautéed onions, then spread the tomatoes on top and next the basil.

5.  In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cheeses, mayo, hot sauce and S & P.  Spread this mixture on top of the tomatoes and basil.

6.  Place the tomato pie in the oven and bake until browned and bubbly- about 30-45 min.


I usually cook completely before dropping off for a meal.  As long as they are eating that night it should be fine and easily reheats later that night or the next day for leftovers!

3 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! My pie recipe doesn't have chicken in it! I will try it this weekend! I am assuming Frank's hot sauce is easy to find?? If not, I guess Texas Pete will do??!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooo yummy! Yes Franks Red Hot Sauce is really easy to find. If not I am sure Texas Pete will taste just as good!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through someone's blog list and I'm so happy I did. I made your tomato pie this week and my husband and I loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete