Dec 22, 2014

NYC 10 years later!

10 years ago Ryan surprised me with a trip to NYC where he again surprised me and we got engaged!  We decided it was time to go back to the big city and what better time than 10 years after that magical weekend!  The night before we left I got this fortune in my fortune cookie!
 After we landed in NYC bright and early we headed to Chelsea's Market to eat brunch.
First stop Friedmans!  They had homemade Gluten Free bread....it was honestly the best GF sammy I have ever had!

 A little coffee to keep up going after that food coma!
 After walking around Chelsea's market for a while we went to Soho and did some major shopping!
 Champagne toast early afternoon feels like a real vacay!
 We then got all dressed up for a nice dinner out.
 We walked for a bit at night to see the city all lit up.  NYC at Christmas is so romantic!  Here is the Saks building light show.  I will say the lights have come a long way in 10 years haha!
 The Rockefeller Christmas tree is truly magical.

 Our kids love Frozen so I couldn't resist a pic with Olaf.
For Dinner Thursday night we went to Catch in Soho.  I love every single thing about this place.  The atmosphere, the drinks, the service, the food- it was all spectacular.
 I am a true Today Show lover and have watched it for years!  We woke up early Friday morning and headed to see it in action.  Crazy to see all that goes on behind the scenes and during commercials.
Ben Stiller was the guest that day...he is just a little guy!
 
 Loved seeing these guys up close and in action.
 After watching some of the taping of the Today show we ate at Lafayette.  Don't get me wrong the food was great, but it was kinda far and over priced.
 Our favorite part of the trip was the shopping and we have been so excited to go back to FAO and shop for the twinkies!

 This Lego Santa was very impressive.  We bought small toys to fill up the kids stockings.  All their big toys and gifts are purchased, wrapped and under the tree.


What would a trip to NYC be without some frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity??
..... and since I have the biggest sweet tooth I also can't go to NYC without going to Dylan's!

 We don't have many girl toys(what can I say I grew up with all brothers), but Ellie has been asking for a baby for a while now....yes she is 21 months and still not a single baby in our house. She has asked Santa for a "bebe" for Christmas and I am pretty sure she will get one, but we couldn't walk by the American girls store without checking it out.  This store puts the Charlotte store to shame...it.is.huge! We loved the twin section!!
 After lots and lots of coffee and shopping we went back to the hotel to rest and shower and get ready for our Broadway night out.  Dinner at Ma Peche before the show was amazing!  Lobster rice, fried brussels sprouts and some amazing Lamb ribs!
 We knew we didn't want to go to a musical, we did that last time and wanted something different.  When I saw the cast in It's Only a Play I knew thats what we should see.  It was a small theatre and we knew every single person in the cast except one guy.  So amazing to see Nathan Lane, Megan Mullaly and my fav Matthew Broderick in action!
 We thought it was hilarious they serve wine in small to go coffee mugs:)
On Saturday we went to see the Christmas tree.  Exactly 10 years before we got engaged in this exact spot.  12-20-2004.  I will never forget that moment and so thankful we have such a special place to go back to and relive that moment whenever we want!
 Gluten free French Toast at Blooms to get our day started right!!!

 Lots of site seeing on Saturday- Grand Central Station.
 New One World Trade Center.
 As we were admiring the World Trade Center memorial it started to snow. Very special moment looking at the names written all around of those that lost their lives that day and watching the snow fall.
Ryan was so sweet to make a special stop for me to visit this bakery and eat a donut! GF heaven!
 

 One of our favorite NYC spots is Eataly.  We had a long wait for lunch so we ate and drank while we waited to eat and drink!
 


 GF pasta at LaPizza LaPasta....amazing!!!!!  Thank God we had to walk so much because I swear all we did was eat!

 Ryan found an underground bar to grab a drink before the game Saturday night.

Ryan has always wanted to go to a game at Madison Square Garden.  We found out a few weeks after we booked our trip that NC State was playing while we were in NYC...lucky!!!
 Not only did we get to see State play, they sold GF beer and we had floor seats!!!  I will NEVER look at basketball the same again after being that close to the action!
 Late night pecan pie gluten free brownie before bed...I love this city!
 We slept in, took showers, packed and searched for something to eat until we were so hungry we wanted lunch.  After a few minutes of googling we found a place in walking distance that is open 24 hours and sells gf pizza.  Hands down best pizza I have had in years!!!
 Uncle Paul's Pizza- random place, but great pizza thats open 24 hours!
 We got in a few hours of shopping and one more chance to eat and drink coffee before heading to the airport late Sunday.  Saks is known for it's light show at night and also window displays.  This year they had nursery rhymes....so impressive along with all the lights and decor inside.  I wish I had a million dollars to shop because I could have spent that in just a few minutes in NYC!

Several times throughout the trip Ryan tried to convince me we should come to the city every year at this time.  Although it is magical I was worn out....I mean dead tired after 4 days!  We had the best time ever celebrating our 10 year engagement and just kicking off the Christmas week with some romantic time in the city!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! The next time I go to New York, all I'll have to do is refer back to this post to plan where we will eat!!!!!! YUM! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete