Mar 15, 2010

Spring Break

Since Ryan is still in school, we still get to celebrate Spring Break:)  Ryan volunteers on several committees/boards and one upside is the traveling he gets to do.  For the dental research annual session we got to go to Miami and Key West last year!!  This year we went to Washington DC...it was really windy, raining most days, and temperatures were in the upper 30's/low 40's.  This is not what I imagined after Florida weather last year, but we made the most of it.
We started our trip by going to Annapolis, Maryland.  We loved the vibe of the town and all the sailboats.  We spent our day eating clam and seafood chowder, shopping, and admiring all the boats at the marina.
While in DC Ryan had a lot of meeting and seminars to attend during the day so I went to A LOT of museums. My favorite was going back to look at the exhibit honoring Julian Child and her kitchen.  I love to cook and loved the movie Julie and Julia so I thought it would be fun go to see her kitchen again. I love how she hung everything on the walls so it was easy to get to.  My system is everything has a place and I put it away so I can't see it...
 
Other highlights were the Air and Space Museum, Library of Congress, Portrait Museum, National Museum of American History...and they are all free.  That is the great thing about DC...there is SOOO much to do and its mostly free.  Within these museums I saw Abraham Lincoln's hat, the Hope Diamond, dinasour bones, space ships, the first sewing machine and many more.


I didn't spend the entire time in museums though as I ate delicious food, visited some of the famous landmarks of our Nations Capital, and did some window shopping in DuPont Circle.

Since we don't go out to eat very often, and since we have been to Washington DC several time over the past two years, we decided to try some very different kinds of foods on this trip.  We tried both Korean and Indian food...both great!  I would highly recommend either one of these places.  The Korean restaurant is called Mandu and the Indian place Rasika.
It was fun getting all dressed up to go to cocktails, dinners and banquets with Dental Research organizations, Senators and the UNC Dental group.  Overall it was good to get away and look forward to going to San Diego next year for Ryan's last Spring Break!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment