May 19, 2010

Collards

Since we have actually had a decent spring this year (normally it goes from really cold to 90 degrees in one week) we have been taking advantage and grilling out.  Ryan makes a MEAN rack of ribs...I am still trying to get the recipe from him so I can post it for you all.  Last time he made ribs I decided to make collards as a side.  We found them at the farmers market for really cheap so I thought I would give it a try.
 
Most important thing is to first wash your collards.  I fill up the sink with cold water and place all the collards in the sink and move them around in the water.  This allows all the dirt to fall to the bottom of the sink.  I then take the collards out and place them on paper towels to drain.

Now cut the middle stem off, place several large leaves on top of each other, roll and cut your collards into strips.
 Now in a large pot, place the cubed pancetta and some olive oil. Cook for a few minutes until they start to brown.
 Now add water and seasonings to pot and bring to a boil.
Add the greens and cook down until they turn a dark/deep green color and most of the water has evaporated.
Now just pair with some meat fresh off the grill!

No comments:

Post a Comment