Jun 25, 2010

Dinner For One

rRyan was gone for the entire month of May....yes I was VERY lonely without him here.  After 5 years of cooking for two I was wondering how it would be to cook for just me.  I would not say that I enjoyed being home alone, but I did like the challenge of coming up with good meals for just me:)

1. Grilled chicken and Salad
This is a simple salad...but one of my new favorites!!  Just combine spinach leaves, blueberries, feta cheese and a fruit dressing (I used pomegrante vinegarette).

2.  Portabella Pizza
You can usually buy portabella mushrooms individually.  I pan grill them for about 2 min per side.  Preheat Broiler.  Place your favorite pizza toppings: sauce/pesto, basil, pepperoni, tomatoes and cheese.  Place in broiler until cheese gets a golden brown...mine took about 5 min.

3.  Chicken Delight.  I got this idea from a blog I read...so easy and versatile.
You can use chicken or fish.  Just preheat oven to 350.  Place chicken on a piece of foil.  I used sun dried tomato pesto, olives and white cheddar cheese.  Wrap it up in the foil and cook for about 25-30 minutes.  I have also made it with olive oil, lemon slices, zucchini, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.  Like I said before this is very versatile.

4.  Sitr Fry.
I used the other half of the split chicken breast from the first meal.  To make sauce I just combine 1 tsp of cornstarch and soy sauce (wheat free of course).  For veggies I used broccoli rabe and red pepper.

5.  Stuffed Mushrooms
These are regular button mushrooms.  It is stuffed with sauted spinach, bread crumbs, the mushroom stems(chopped), juice of 1/4 lemon, 1 garlic clove and Parmesan cheese.  I place the stuffed mushrooms on a foil lined cookie sheet and drizzled it with olive oil.  I then baked them for 15 min at 350 in the oven.  These little guys go great with....

6.  Nutella panini.  Ok so this should not be a dinner....more like a dessert.  I made this one night when I had a salad and some veggies and hummus for dinner.  Around 7:30 I was starving....so I made this for dinner #2.
I use my special bread....most gluten free breads are awful ok, this brand is the best I have found.  I put Nutella on both sides of the bread, add sliced banana and olive oil on the outside.  I do not have a panini press so I just pan cook it and smush it down with a spatula.  This is pure heaven....
I got this idea from the crepes we got on our trip to Italy a few years ago.

7.  BALT open face sammie.  Just a BLT with avocado.  Refreshing and so yummy!
So no excuses next time you are fending for yourself for dinner.  Treat youself to a yummy home cooked meal:)

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'll have to use these ideas during training camp! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be on the Food Channel! You are hereby in charge of all meals at Sunset Beach!!!

    ReplyDelete